"A History of Ottawa East"
Published May, 2004 by the Old Ottawa East Community Association
Written in part and compiled by Rick Wallace
Technical Direction by David Walker
Made available under the Creative Commons License (Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5)
ISBN - 0-9735110-0-1
* Please note almost all images on all pages are hotlinked.
Simply click on the image for a larger view.
|A brief overview of the project's background, scope, acknowledgements, sources, copyright and dedication.
|Beginning in 1797 with the creation of Nepean Township this history section describes the evolution of Ottawa East up to 1907.
|First printed in October of 1985, this community newspaper includes several historically important articles.
|Trinity Anglican (Ascension) was the first followed by Ste. Famille, Wesley United, Calvary Baptist and Canadian Martyrs.
|St. Joseph's Scholasticate (now Deschâtelets) is the domain of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) - the first and most important institution in the history of Ottawa East.
|Beginning in 1875, SS17 later became Lady Evelyn followed by Holy Family/Martyrs, De Mazenod, St. Patrick's College and St. Paul University and others.
|The Railroad was the major industry here until the 1950's. This section describes the effect the railway presence had on the community.
|Most activities in the Village were controlled by a small group of exceptional people. Brief snapshots of many are included here
|The section includes several significant events in the evolution of Ottawa East after 1907.
|Using the 1901 Census, maps, and various records, a descriptive overview of the community is included here.
|Air Photo Study
|Using a treasure trove of unique air photos, the evolution of the community can be seen from 1922 to 1961.
|The central part of this project involves the hundreds of historical photographs gathered from a myriad of sources.
|Much can be learned about a community by analysis of important records such as directories, censuses and assessment rolls. Many are reproduced here.
|Search the contents
|This collection has a self-contained search engine. This link will provide information on how to search and the search link.
|The History Project gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the City of Ottawa for part of this work.