|Air Photo Study|
Scholasticate Building Evolution
The Scholasticate building was opened on September 8, 1885 on land purchased by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate beginning in 1863. The land, 28 acres was originally acquired by Richard Fitzsimmons from the Crown by Patent. The date on the land record, which can be seen here, is somewhat illegible. As the document shows the first transaction between Fitzsimmons and the College of Ottawa (Oblate Order) was in September of 1863.
The Oblates built the Scholasticate in 1884/85 and installed the bell tower in 1886. When the Sisters of the Sacred Heart came to work for the Oblates in 1902, they built a small convent adjacent to the main building. This convent was destroyed by fire in 1913 and rebuilt about two years later.
In 1925 the Scholasticate was expanded with the addition of wings on either side of the building. The centre portion of the building was extensively renovated in 1950 with the addition of two stories, a gothic roof and a new central chapel.
In 1960 the gymnasium was built, half of which was later occupied permanently by the Deschâtelets Archives.
The pictures below represent the evolution of the building from the beginning to present-day. Click on each for a larger view.
|Return to Scholasticate Main Page|