Project Information
After 1907
1901 Snapshot
Air Photo Study
Image Library
Chapter Five: Council Minutes - 1898
Village Politicians:

The existing records for 1898 begin in June. The Reeve was James S. Webster, a clerk living on Second St. Council included John Bremner, a stone cutter on Fourth St.; Charles Winges, a millwright on Main St.; James R. Logan, a foreman on Canal Rd.; and William C. Ogilvie, a carpenter on Second St.. The clerk was William Barry, who served in that position until the Village ended in 1907.


Overview of the Year:

The major item for the year was the creation of a waterworks that was never built. Council gave the monopoly to supply the village to an Edward Joseph Rainbosh of the Ottawa Suburban Waterworks Ltd. However there is no record of anything being built by this company. Apart from that, it appeared to be a normal council year with the usual duties when compared to the following years where more information is available.


Most of the appointments were made in January and therefore lost. (See Missing Records) We do know that the constable was Walter F. Bompas, a carpenter living at 76 Canal Road. In November, Reeve Webster retired for some reason and W. C. Ogilvie acted in his stead for the remainder of the term. Bylaw #56 appointed Herman Jordan, a labourer living at 28 Fourth St., as the pound keeper since Mr. Maher on Fifth St. had resigned. There was never any description in any of the records regarding the duties of the pound keeper but it can be assumed that it was a holding area for dogs, wandering cows and any other beast not allowed at large.


At the beginning of each meeting, council would review correspondence received and direct the clerk to respond where required. Some examples include:

  • Use of the town hall was granted to: the Women’s Auxiliary of Trinity Church for a bazaar; James Sur_t? for a gospel meeting; and the Ottawa East Debating Society;
  • J. Bower requested that sidewalks be built on Canal St.;
  • A letter was sent to the county representative (J. Ballantyne?) regarding irregularities at the County Crown Attorney’s office. A reply was received from Ballantyne;
  • J. R. Booth (a prominent lumber baron) requested a crossing on Canal Rd.;
  • Martin O’Gara (a fiery Ottawa magistrate) wrote to council claiming damages for a Sister Demers as her cow had been killed and she felt the village was responsible;
  • The railway was admonished not to leave cars on the tracks obstructing the roadway (Main St.?) and to keep the area lighted;
  • Residents requested that the railway be notified to stop excessive train whistling;
  • Permission was requested from the Ottawa and New York Railway for a crossing of Ann St.

Pubic Works:

As in later years, the council of 1898 concerned itself with new roads, railway crossings, sidewalks and drainage. While the infrastructure of old Archville comprised the main part of the village with streets such as Drummond, Bronson and Clegg in the south, most were without sidewalks or permanent drainage. And it appears that at this point in the history of the village there was no fire department, street lighting, waterworks or permanent sewers.

Some of the public works items listed in the minutes included:

  • Tender from Dougald Fisher, a labourer on the east side of McGillivray St. was accepted to lay sidewalk at 20 cents/panel. A panel consisted of two cedar poles set in crushed stone with 2 inch cedar planks, 3 feet long and nailed across the poles. He installed 109 lengths. He also received $9.00 for grading Drummond and Bronson St.;
  • Residents on Herridge and Clegg requested drainage as soon as possible;
  • Ballantyne requested a sidewalk on 7th St.;
  • Wages paid by the village for labour included $1.25/day for one man and $2.00/day if he used a horse. Removing the carcass of a dead animal paid $1.00;

Council Motions, Policies and Bylaws:

Everything from expenditures to the laying out of streets was dealt with by motions and bylaws. For the most part council passed motions to set policy. Some examples included:

  • Warnings of prosecution were to be sent to "those letting cattle and horses at large";
  • Bylaw #61 was passed establishing new roadways east of Hurdman Rd. Specifically the area in question was the north half of Lot G in Concession D. One back lane was to be 10 feet wide while the street was 50 feet wide and to be named Robinson Avenue. The land was owned by T. W. McKermont? and R. P. Robinson, a contractor who lived at 218 Canal Rd.;
  • Bylaws #55 and #57 were passed giving authority to build a water system and expropriate land but as noted above, nothing ever came of this action.
  • The property mill rates were as follows:
County .0013
Village .00463
Public School .0067
Debenture Bylaw #13 .00093
Debenture Bylaw #40 .001
Debenture Bylaw #50 .00044


Some examples of expenditures included:

  • The clerk’s quarterly salary was $16.26;
  • Legal services from O’Gara, - - -, and Gemmel cost $60 (a very high figure for the time);
  • Ottawa Free Press received $10.00 for printing the voters list;
  • G. T. Barrett – $5.00 for one cord of cut maple to heat the town hall;
  • Barney Gilles of Herridge St. was paid $6.88 for 5.5 days work at $1.25/day;

Image Library: The images are from the specific year or are related to the text above.

Place your cursor over the image and a Cue Card will appear.

Then click on the image for a larger view

Lillie Ballantyne and Joe O'Gara - 1891
J. Bower House 0-c1891 - still standing
Mrs. Harvey's cottage - 1896
Main St. at rail crossing 1898
Canal Swing Bridge - end of Main St. on right - c1890
Ballantynes at 54 Main St. - c1897
Original School House -  c1898
Second School House - 1898
Public Shool - teacher and students
Purdy and boys in front of 54 Main St.
Home of W. Lees - Palin Ari - still standing on Lees ave.
R. Mahar - 1898
Looking up Canal to Clegg S. from rial bridge 1898
Canal east bank opposite Ex grounds - 1898
Trinity Anglican Church - c1890 - still standing at Echo and Main
R. Taylor's house - 5 Second St. - 1898
Champagne's Barn - oldest photographic record of a building in Ottawa East - 1898
Looking towward O'Gara house at Main and Hawthorne - 1898
Mabel Williams 1898
Ballantyne Sheds on canal at Hawthorne - c1900
Main St. rail crossing about 1898
Looking down canal from Patterson's Creek - c1895
Looking north on Main St. to canal - c1895
Interior of 54 Main St. - c1896
Camal opposite Ex grounds - 1898
Construction of canal swing bridge - 1890
Looking up canal towards Clegg from Rail Bridge - 1898
Boaters on canal - road to right becomes Echo - 1898
Boating on canal - 1898
Interior of Wilwood - c1893
Return to Chapter Five Main Page
Go to 1899